The project Promoting and developing intercultural education (ICE) for pre-service teacher training (Phase II) addresses the problems faced by students, future teachers, from 4 universities (bachelor cycle) and 3 universities (master cycle) – management of multicultural classes, with students from different cultural, geographical and linguistic regions, but also of particular didactics of subjects with multi- / intercultural themes. Currently, there is both the need and the desire to open higher education institutions to initiate / develop university courses in master’s and bachelor’s programs in intercultural education, in order to empower young people to appreciate diversity, improve and capitalize on the benefits of intercultural communication.
Implementation period: March 2021 – December 2023.
Purpose and objectives
The goal of the project: to improve future teachers’ knowledge and skills in order to support the development of intercultural competence of children and youth.
- To integrate and promote the EIC dimension in the strategic policy documents of the 7 universities with pedagogical profile;
- To integrate the EIC dimension in the pedagogical curricula from the bachelor and master programs;
- To assure the cooperation between 7 universities with pedagogical profile and pre-university education institutions for the development of intercultural competence (IC) in children and young people.
Contributing to sustainable development and ensuring a peaceful life together, by capitalizing on intercultural competence in the university curriculum and, in the long term, on increasing the level of tolerance and non-discrimination among children and young people, representing different ethnic groups , religious, linguistic.
30 managers and over 50 university teachers (professors and methodologists), 700 future professors from 7 universities will be trained in the teaching methodology of EIC and will apply EIC within the pedagogical internship (4 universities – undergraduate programs and
3 universities – master programs), 850 students from years I and II, including from 3 faculties of sciences of education, philology and history / civic education will improve their CI in the classes and about 8000 students who will benefit of this initiative.
Activities and results
- Online event for launching the second phase of the project, with the participation of teams from 7 pedagogical universities;
- Online workshops for university managers on the promotion of EIC, through university strategic documents, based on needs analysis;
- Training program for university teachers and Methodists on gender mainstreaming and its application in EIC and mentoring courses;
- Training of university teachers and methodologists in the field of digital skills development for teaching EIC university courses and for mentoring;
- Training programs for university professors from 4 new universities regarding the development of EIC curricular documents for undergraduate programs and for university professors from the 3 universities from phase I of the project regarding the elaboration of EIC university curricular documents for master programs;
- Elaboration, editing and publishing 7 sets of university curricula of EIC (curriculum, methodological guides, manual with teaching materials) for university and postgraduate programs;
- Developing the didactic resources centers in EIC in 4 new universities;