The project Promoting and developing intercultural education (ICE) for pre-service teacher training will address the problems encountered by the students, future teachers, from 3 pedagogical universities, namely of management of the multicultural classes of pupils from diverse cultural, geographical and linguistic regions, but also of specific didactic method of the multi-, intercultural topics. At present, there is both the need and the openness of educational institutions to develop an academic course (compulsory or optional) for future teachers on intercultural education for youth empowerment to appreciate diversity, to enhance and harnessing the benefits of intercultural communication.
Project duration: June 2018 – December 2020
Purpose and objectives
The goal of the project: to improve future teachers’ knowledge and skills in order to support the development of intercultural competence of children and youth.
- To develop the curriculum and didactic materials on intercultural education in pre-service teacher training;
- To develop the professional skills of university teachers in intercultural education.
Inclusion / implementation of intercultural competence in the academic curriculum and, in the long run, in the long term, increase the level of tolerance and non-discrimination among children and young people, representing different ethnic, religious, linguistic groups.
University managers and teachers, future teachers from 3 pedagogical universities, including 3 faculties of pedagogy, philology and history/civics and around 3000 school children would benefit from this initiative, even though not directly involved in the project.
Activities and results
- Carrying out a needs assessment with the university managers, university teachers and future teachers for curriculum development and teacher training;
- Organizing the university teachers’ trainings program on ICE;
- Developing an university curriculum on ICE;
- Developing a didactical guide for university teachers on ICE;
- Establishing resources centres on ICE in the 3 universities in Moldova for university teachers and future teachers;
- Delivering promotional activities on ICE in the universities and schools;
- Organization of round tables, workshops and systematic meetings to promote the ICE etc.